A common place-name in the old Danelaw areas of the Midlands and the North, usually "farmstead or estate of the freemen or peasants", from Old Scandinavian karl (often no doubt replacing Old English ceorl) + Old English tun.
"A Dictionary of English Place-Names", Oxford University Press
This is technically still within Rawcliffe, but is the name given to the village between the railway line and the point where the road crosses the Dutch River on the way to Thorne. The village is now dominated by overhead traffic thundering past on the M62 between Leeds and Hull.
The railway line has very few trains nowadays and hardly anybody uses the station. It does however give rise to the least used stretch of road in the area when an underpass was built under the line.
This came into existence, of necessity, when the Dutch River was built. It was needed so that the people of Rawcliffe could continue to use their ancient pastures. But it was the coming of the Canal and the Railway in the 19 th Century that turned it into a place where people lived and worked. For a time it flourished and then in this century was rescued from final decline by the coming of Croda. In 1896 St. Philip's Church was built for much the same reason as St. James' had been built five hundred years earlier - for the "ease" of parishioners living at some distance from their Parish Church. Chapel, school and shops helped to complete what before the invention of the motor car must been a lively and self-contained community.
"Rivers, Rectors and Abbots", David Lunn - Bishop of Sheffield, 1990